Thursday, August 27, 2009

Antici..........pation


As anxious as I am about wrapping up the study successfully in the next 6 work days, I'm even more anxious to get home to Seattle. Of course the biggest factor is that I've now been separated from my wife for 3.5 months. Other factors that make me miss home are friends, food, my dog, and being tired of the extra work it takes to navigate the culture in a foreign country. But I'm also realizing how much I really like the city where we live.

This September makes three years since we hauled our junk across the country to start anew on the west coast. I don't think Jess or I immediately fell in love with the city. The weather turned bad quickly--that November there was rain something like 28 of 31 days--and it takes time to make friends and find things to do. We've slowly grown more fond of the Emerald City as we've integrated ourselves.

Now, reading Seattle blogs, looking at pictures, perusing concert schedules, and just hearing what my friends are up to makes me realize what a great place it is to live. The restaurants, bars, museums, parks and different communities offer a lot to Seattle residents. From a different continent, many Pacific Northwest quirks that have at times grated my nerves seem more like adorable cliches performed mostly by genuine people. The mustachioed hipster cyclists who peg their skinny jeans; eco-obsessive young parents; queer scenesters; the connoisseur class. From my perspective now these people blend together in a cute, happy bubble of good will, enlightenment and acceptance. That's a place where I want to live.

I think I love you, Seattle. Be home soon.

4 Responses to “Antici..........pation”

Unknown said...

As a small part of the bubble of good will, I can say that we love you too, Greg. But I'm not home yet so don't get too excited.

Tim Thomas said...

It'll be great to see you again. We'll have to catch up. Elysion?

greg said...

Tim, you're making my mouth water. Elysian it will be, once I get settled back home.

Kruger Park said...

You are going to miss the beauty of Africa though!

Leave a reply

 
© 2009 Travelblog. All Rights Reserved | Powered by Blogger
Design by psdvibe | Bloggerized By LawnyDesigns