Sunday, August 23, 2009

Food in South Africa: Meaty Edition

I haven't had many requests for specific blog posts from my brilliant and beautiful audience, but I did get one early in my trip and have since neglected it. Erin wants to know more about the food here. Well, here is a little digest of some of the things I've digested. Since I don't take my camera everywhere I've had to rely on Wikipedia for illustrations. Today's post is meat-centric and I hope you will find it meat-tastic.

The braii

One of the first things to learn about food is that people here have braiis, not barbecues. However, if you come to the braii with the same attitude you bring to a barbecue you should be fine. Wood is burned to create hot embers, which can then be shoveled into a small pit or even just in a pile on the ground. The grilling rack is placed on top. Hot embers can be added as needed. I think every braii I've attended has included at least a couple kinds of meat (beef, chicken, venison or boerewors), pap, and "soup" or chakalaka, a spicy sauce of tomatoes, onions, peppers, chili, and other veggies. I'm not sure any particular food is as essential as the fire, alcohol, and talking. The braii I attended last night even included family squabbling, which I really consider an indispensable feature of American BBQs.
MMM...doesn't that look appetizing?

Potjiekos (sounds similar to `POY-key')
This is an Afrikaner dish. Place your huge cast-iron pot on the fire, heat some oil, and cook your meat. Add...well, everything. I ate this once and I think we had rabbit, chicken, pumpkin, corn... I don't remember the rest. This is one of those everything-in-the-pot meals that just tastes heavenly and helps soak up all the beer you were drinking while standing around the fire for 4 hours.
Good things are happening inside this pot. I mean potjie.

Biltong
Really, it's just jerky. But it's possible it's made from an animal you have never seen, nevermind eaten. I've had kudu biltong but you can also get ostrich, chicken, fish, and apparently even shark. Another difference is you will come across biltong in South Africa in places you'll never see American jerky. The biltong, feta and butternut squash pizza at Upper Deck in Kampesrus is actually delicious!
Here's a common biltong display in airports, tourism centres, and other shops.


Mopane Worms

This one I haven't tried yet. My housemate, Susan, generously purchased a plastic bag full of these guys so she could prepare them for me to try. We haven't gotten around to it yet, and somehow I've forgotten to mention it. Wikipedia says they are considered a delicacy in some places and they have a meaty taste. All I know is they look spiky and crunchy and not at all pleasant to chew. But what do I know?


Bonus: Absolutely stupid video about a braii. I think the fact they're using charcoal is lame. You'll recognize the satire on male behavior around the grill but you'll also get to hear some SA accents and jargon.

2 Responses to “Food in South Africa: Meaty Edition”

erin g. said...

Great post; used to have South African friends and I completely forgot about the braii. Don't you think you should try the worms, lest it become one of those things you regret on your deathbed?

greg said...

If someone offers me a worm I'll try it. If I have regrets on my deathbed, at least the anguish will be over before long.

Leave a reply

 
© 2009 Travelblog. All Rights Reserved | Powered by Blogger
Design by psdvibe | Bloggerized By LawnyDesigns